Saturday, April 14, 2012

Cemetery as Arboretum

I recently went here:
 Home of one of California's founding fathers:

They have a rose collection of heritage/heirloom varieties clipped from 100+year-old cemeteries from across the state. But this post is about the spring bulbs...

Fresia, they smell sweet like fruitloops!


 A flowering cherry at its peak
Fluffy 
Because they are double flowers, twice the petals 

Then the tulips, so many cool varieties 

This is likely the result of a virus, the tulip mosaic virus, which causes this mottled and gorgeous color

My favorite
 



Then the irises
 





 
My favorite

Some other stuff

 



I always love the native ceanothus, which blooms in late winter through early summer with bright blue/purple flower clusters that smell like honey 



 There are so many flowers the petals coat the ground under the trees (they often are grown as bushes for landscaping)
I even found  a rare white one 


It was recently easter, so I made some eggs for my nephew

Reggaegg 

Some interesting cloud formations 


No comments:

Post a Comment