Sunday, July 8, 2012

High Foothills Hike and Blueberries

I recently went for a hike in the pine forest of the foothills. I haven't done much outdoors in this habitat, so it was all new to me. Then I went to pick some blueberries at some farms in the area (east of Placerville).

I first noticed how red (nutrient-poor) the soil was
 And the trees were tall, maybe 70 feet+
 The contrast between the fire managed areas and those overgrown was stark on the ground. See the difference between above and below
 Some wildflowers, despite the recent heat
 This is a sugar pine, with very large pine cones (over 14 inches)
And here is one on the ground
 There was supposed to be a good view here...
 But it was just further down the trail

 I don't think this is a snow plant, but rather a coral-root orchid, but I could be mistaken
 A small bird's nest
 This is one of the many lakes at this elevation, providing power and water to the valley. Check out how full it is, with the submerged trees to the right
 Sierra peaks in the distance
 Mmmm, blueberries
Just up the hill are the bushes 
These raspberries will be ready in a few more weeks
The tape scares off the birds, as does that black box, which emits hawk sounds




The product of my labors, yum!
And a sunset to finish off


No comments:

Post a Comment